Monday 10 August 2009

Photo de Jour

Vulcan, Alberta. The Mecca for Trekkies. Founded in 1912 before the Rise of Roddenberry and his motley crew, this town made Star Trek its theme soon after the series became popular with a great little museum (white building in background, completed in 1998 I believe) and a whole bunch of murals down Centre Street, not to mention all the town's signs having the Star Trek emblem. Even the great Leonard Nimoy has visited and given his blessing on this quaint little prairie town in Southern Alberta.

I paid Vulcan a visit myself this morning and ventured into the museum, which is free to enter and has all sorts of memorabilia and a little sideshow that costs extra for those who want a walk-in multimedia experience. It also has a mock-up of the set and trekkies can dress up in all the garb and have their photo taken aboard. On leaving - ideally with your Spock Ears, Star Trek uniform sweater, cap, and a mug that says "I beamed to Vulcan, Alberta" - you are invited to sign the Guest Book, and here is where you can get really creative if you want to (although the most creative entry on my page was mine, and that was only because everyone else was from Canada and I gave my home town in the UK...) It's well worth a visit. Oh and to the left of this photo (not featured in it, sadly) is a board with pictures of the crew but with removable faces so you can replace it with yours and stand alongside your favourite characters. Since I was driving solo I couldn't get mine done, nor could I stand under the signpost for Vulcan, giving the Live Long and Prosper sign... Alas, I will have to return either at a busier time or with company. Until then, Live Long and Prosper, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment