Wednesday 26 August 2009

--insert title here--

On Sunday Rod gave an amazing sermon during which he showed us a book made up of different coloured paper. Each colour represented the different stages of the Christian story. At the centre was red, which represented Christ and his sacrifice. But the page that stood out the most was the one after that. It was white: a blank sheet of paper that represented us and our part to play in the bigger scheme of things. He then asked what we would write on it as our contribution to this story. How would our lives impact the Main Story. I loved the symbolism. As someone who blogs and writes a journal, and ultimately as someone who sees such incredible potential in a blank page or an empty stage, this had a huge impact on me. What would I write?

He went on further to challenge the preconceived notions that have been drummed into us as 'children of the Reformation' -- we who have been raised to believe that our part to play is insignificant in the face of a terrifying God. He boldly quoted scripture where Christ says that we will do 'greater things than these', referring to Christ's miraculous works, and asked us how it is that we have forgotten this. I could feel my heart beating wildly because these words rang true in my soul, and reached for a deeper yearning that I've been ignoring in favour of my Reformation-based inadequacy. This is even in spite of the fact that in my Pneumatology class I learned about the Rhema (the pentecostal translation) and how the Holy of Holies exists within us. At the time it blew me away and my immediate response was that of Peter when he realised who Christ was and cowered in shame saying "turn your face from me, for I'm a sinner". I guess we all do that when confronted with who Jesus is and have our true selves exposed before him. How quickly I seem to forget these things and fall back on the 'worthless worm' theology!

I am grateful for the sermon because it reminded me of the bigger picture. All my striving and anxiety over where I should be, what I should do, etc, all seems meaningless when faced with this. This chapter has ended, I have turned the page and it is blank. This is not to say that I will forget all that has happened until now. That will remain with me because it has shaped who I am. But the new page is ready to be written on. Do I waste it with pointless exercises and repetitions of things that I know or do I step out in faith and boldly embrace change, praying that I never stop learning to love and never stop searching for God? I choose the latter. So insert your own title on this entry. I'll leave it blank as a symbol of that new page in The Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment